My Crash !
bjorn
2005-09-07 14:06:11 UTC
***@aol.com | My Groups | Help | Sign out

How one's life can change in a moment.

On sunday Aug. 7th, about 6pm I was riding my bike on a country road
here in SE Wisconsin ... it was sunny and the road was flat and
straight and had more cows in the fields than cars on the road.

Next thing I remember was opening my eyes while laying in a hospital
bed and pushing the button for more pain medicine. I was told that
according to witnesses, I was run over from behind by someone in an
S.U.V. going about 50mph. I remembered nothing of the accident.

I spent 5 days in the hospital, but was lucky to be alive. My helmet
was smashed throughout and has blood and tire marks on the side (bike
or car?). I came away with two fractures in my pelvis and a cut
bladder, no surgery required.

To top it off, I must have rolled numerous times in the country
field/swamp after getting hit because I had cuts everywhere and
developed poison ivy head to toe .... ugh ! Road rash? My face mainly,
and left hip.

Home I went (to live with my brother for a while actually) and was
doing okay ... until I started running fevers. 99 ... 100 ... 101 ....
when at 3am one morning it hit 103.8F ... call 911 ... time to go back
in ! I had some bad infections ... urinary tract, bladder, and a staph
infection in my blood.

7 more days in the hospital and some serious antibiotics and I'm home
again (brother's house). I beat the staph infection but am still on IV
antibiotics for 2 more weeks.

My pelvis hasn't quite healed so I'm still using a walker, but I'm
getting stronger. My bladder hasn't healed either and am still peeing
through a tube (foley catheter) ... but that gets tested on friday. The
poison ivy is healed, and the awful swelling in my legs has almost
dissapeared. I'm off the Prednesone (steroid), the Lovenox (prevents
blood clots during inactivity), and have stopped taking the Oxycontin I
was on (made me feel lousy after a while). I only have the IV
antibiotics left (I'm a registered nurse, so they let me do it myself
through my PICC line).

So that's been my August ... from doing 50 mile bike rides, to using a
walker (and my legs have gotten skinny ! ).

The bike? Well, turns out that the driver didn't stop, the witnesses
were too concerned about me being alive to worry about the license
plate of the guy, and the cops have the bike as evidence. They say they
took lots of pictures .... hopefully one day I'll get what's left of my
bike back ($2,000 Moser).

Fortunately my job is waiting for me when I'm better.

Next ride? I'm 45 years old, have been riding since a kid, including 11
years of USCF racing and felt quite confident on my abilities on the
road ... but right now I have no desire to get back on the road. I
don't think I can trust anyone out there. Could you?

John Wilke
Milwaukee

No newer topics PDA programs for skiing? - Older »

Topic: My Crash ! - go to top

Google Home - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs, Press, & Help

Roger Zoul
2005-09-07 14:33:06 UTC
Hi John :

Sorry to hear about what happened to you. Get well and healed up. After a
while, you might wish to consider getting back at it.

When I ride, I don't like to think that I trust others to not run me down
(even though I know that I do). I always have my take-a-look mirror so I can
see what comes up from behind, in case I need to make the choice of
intentionally going off-road.

I think there are several in here who have been through similar ordeals.
Everyone is different, so if you never want to ride again, that fine because
it's your life. But in time you might feel different.

Take care.

bjorn wrote:

: Next ride? I'm 45 years old, have been riding since a kid, including
: 11 years of USCF racing and felt quite confident on my abilities on
: the road ... but right now I have no desire to get back on the road. I
: don't think I can trust anyone out there. Could you?
:
: John Wilke
: Milwaukee
Charles B. Summers, QOF.
2005-09-07 22:39:11 UTC
The parks commission here in Tennessee are starting Greenway trails for
walker and bicyclist. It's where I should have been two weeks ago...
http://www.nashville.gov/greenways/projects.htm

These are safe, fun, and very good for the ole cardiovascular system. Check
out your city parks to see if you have anything like this... or just moce to
Nashville.
: Milwaukee
Hell and High Water
2005-09-07 14:46:14 UTC
Post by bjorn
How one's life can change in a moment.
On sunday Aug. 7th, about 6pm I was riding my bike on a country road
here in SE Wisconsin ... it was sunny and the road was flat and
straight and had more cows in the fields than cars on the road.
Next thing I remember was opening my eyes while laying in a hospital
bed and pushing the button for more pain medicine. I was told that
according to witnesses, I was run over from behind by someone in an
S.U.V. going about 50mph. I remembered nothing of the accident.
WOW!! Glad that you're (in general) OK!!

I had a nasty one about four months ago myself. Broken
ribs/collarbone/punctured lung/etc.

As with you, I remembered NOTHING! I actually think that's what helped
me get back on the bike. I've been biking more in the last month than
ever before in my life.

Give it time and hopefully you'll find the desire to get back on the
bike.

Get better quick!!!

-Crash
Bill Sornson
2005-09-07 17:44:16 UTC
Post by bjorn
[...]
What a terrible, senseless ordeal, John. (Or is it Bjorn?) Doubtless
almost everyone would feel as you do now; but hopefully as you heal and grow
stronger the urge to ride will return. (Maybe off-road for a while? Beats
you up more, but not almost fatally!)

Best of luck to you and please keep us informed as to your progress (on OR
OFF the bike). Sure hope they catch the cowardly, hit & run bastard that
nearly killed you...

Bill S.
Charles B. Summers, QOF.
2005-09-07 22:34:33 UTC
Dude... I thought I was in bad shape with my brolen pelvis. Today makes the
end of week two, and mine was only caused by a crash on a BMX track. Sounds
like you've had it bad, and I feel for you. The bladder thing is bad.

Doc explained to me how kucky I was... but it is seems you aren't. Heal
fast, heal well, and do what the docs say. I've got at least another month
before I can go back to work.

(Bought my new Trek 3700 on Monday... crashed it on Wednesday. LOL)
psycholist
2005-09-08 00:01:06 UTC
"bjorn" <***@aol.com> wrote in message news:***@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
[...]

John,

Sorry for you situation and your accident. It sounds like you're doing
fairly well.

I had a similar situation. I received a broken hip, pelvis, ankle, a
compressed vertebrae and some serious lacerations to my left leg at the
hands of a 17 year old driving and talking on a cell phone. She made an
unsignaled left turn directly into me as I was descending a hill.

I had moments where I thought I'd never get out there on a bike again, but
they were over in about 2 days. By the time I was out of the hospital (8
days), I was chompin' at the bit to get better so I could ride. I was on
rollers in six weeks and outside on the road in 3 months. I think something
the ER doc said to me got my attention ... that I wouldn't have survived my
wreck were it not for the fabulous condition I was in thanks to all my
riding.

If you don't ride again, nobody would fault you for it. But surely you
loved it and surely you'd find yourself out there with a new set of eyes in
the back of your head. I'm betting you'll be feeling like a caged animal in
no time and you'll be chewin' on the bars to get back out on the road. I
hope so.

God bless you in your ordeal.
--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
~R

Mark Hickey
2005-09-08 02:34:45 UTC
Post by bjorn
How one's life can change in a moment.
<snip>

Your story reminds us all that we never get on our bikes expecting
anything traumatic to happen during that ride. But sometimes it does.

I'm thrilled to hear that you're recovering, and hope that the
recovery is rapid and complete. I also hope that you'll find the
resolve to get back on a bike eventually, but would never think less
of you if you didn't.

I do hope that you'll update us all when the miscreant who ran you
down is captured.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Mike Kruger
2005-09-08 03:26:04 UTC
"bjorn" <***@aol.com> wrote in message

Thanks for writing. Good luck on your rehab.

<<Next ride? I'm 45 years old, have been riding since a kid, including 11
years of USCF racing and felt quite confident on my abilities on the
road ... but right now I have no desire to get back on the road. I
don't think I can trust anyone out there. Could you?>>

I don't know. I do understand about this type of fear a bit. The night I
moved to Chicago, I got in a 4 car wreck on the Kennedy Expressway. I was
barely able to drive for weeks (luckily I took the train in to work), and it
was quite some time before I felt comfortable on the expressway. I lost that
trust in my fellow man's reasonableness that is required to drive without
continual fear. Your situation is certainly more serious.

Whether you ride again or not is not an important question at the moment.
The important thing is to concentrate on your rehab and then do what you
feel comfortable doing.when you and willing and able to do it.
Monty
2005-09-08 12:16:54 UTC
I scattered my elbow in a crash 2 1/2 years ago.
While in the hospital (and in much pain) I never wanted to see a bicycle
again. That soon changed and I couldn't wait to get back on my bike again.
This year I have over 9,000 miles logged.
Please, be patient and give cycling another chance, you will not regret it!

Monty

Jeff Starr
2005-09-08 15:26:27 UTC
Post by bjorn
How one's life can change in a moment.
On sunday Aug. 7th, about 6pm I was riding my bike on a country road
here in SE Wisconsin ... it was sunny and the road was flat and
straight and had more cows in the fields than cars on the road.
Much snipped.
Post by bjorn
John Wilke
Milwaukee
Hi John, I'm posting under the other guy's post, because I had deleted
your original post. Oops!

Where specifically did this happen? I'm from Milwaukee too.

I sure hope everything works out for you, and that the driver's
conscience, gets the best of him.

Take care,
Jeff
Bob the Cow
2005-09-08 21:45:15 UTC
Post by Monty
I scattered my elbow in a crash 2 1/2 years ago.
http://nanandmont.com/bike/crash/xray-1.jpg
Wholly shit!

I've looked at a lot of elbow radiographs, but that one takes the cake.

Does your arm point North all the time now?
Emily
2005-09-11 01:03:16 UTC
Post by bjorn
[...]

I'm so sorry about your accident. I wasn't hit by a car, but had a
serious cycling crash in mid-April (double-dog induced) and broke my
pelvis in three places. Had to have surgery to install a stainless
steel plate with screws and four pins to hold me together. I was lucky
in one way that I hit the bone just right to break it, but didn't slide
on the road so only had a couple small abrasions on my elbow and thumb,
and I had no internal organ damage. Thank goodness. My lovely Aegis
Swift was also barely damaged - very lucky.

I too doubted whether I would ever ride again at first, especially in
the rural south where I live, and where unrestrained dogs are all too
frequent. But over time, I got the desire back. I started riding the
trainer indoors, slowly and gently at first, just as soon as I was
allowed to bear weight on the right side (~8 weeks after my accident).
Eventually I worked up my courage to ride my mountain bike (think fat
cushy tires for pain protection) on a couple of short rides around the
'hood, and finally I worked my way up to a couple of "beginner" (slow)
bike club rides on one of my road bikes. My first ride (end of July) I
averaged 12.5 mph (used to average around 5 mph higher than that), and I
was nervous as could be at the start, but I did it. I felt some pain,
but it was tolerable. I just felt so good that I had faced my fears
done it, even though it was only around 15 miles.

Each subsequent ride I felt stronger and less fearful, and today I
completed a 35 mile club ride at 15.7 mph and felt really, really good,
without pain and almost no fear. Even had to deal with a couple of dogs
but did okay.

I realize that our situations aren't identical, but what I did discover
during my ordeal is that if cycling is a very important part of your
life as it was mine (and it sounds like it is), leaving it behind and
never riding again is just not an option. I don't just like to ride, I
*need* to ride, I simply *must* ride. Even with all the risks, I am so
glad I am back.

I hope you will be back someday too.

If you'd like to read more about my accident and recovery, in hopes that
it might help you along, or at least give you something to compare to,
I've kept a blog at: http://www.livejournal.com/users/emily_c_smith/.
I've pretty much stopped writing in it now, but I wrote a lot during my
recovery.

Best wishes and healing thoughts to you,

Emily
jj
2005-09-11 01:58:25 UTC
Post by Emily
If you'd like to read more about my accident and recovery, in hopes that
it might help you along, or at least give you something to compare to,
I've kept a blog at: http://www.livejournal.com/users/emily_c_smith/.
I've pretty much stopped writing in it now, but I wrote a lot during my
recovery.
Best wishes and healing thoughts to you,
Emily
E., went and read your blog. Very inspiring. Great job on your comeback;
very heroic. Good to read things like that allowing one to put small aches
and pains in perspective. Thanks for sharing.

jj
Bill Sornson
2005-09-11 01:56:26 UTC
Emily wrote:
{John's tale snipped}
Post by Emily
[...]
What a wonderful and encouraging note, Emily! I haven't read many entries
yet but I scrolled thru your blog and the transformation from "pained and
injured" to "back out there" was truly something. (Love the pink helmet,
too :) )

I'm sure John will draw inspiration from your story, as will many others.
(As jj said, so much for miscellaneous aches and pains!)

Thank you for sharing your recovery.

Bill S.